Do you long for a more natural skin care? With the ancient wisdom of ayurveda as a pillar stone, Dr. Venu Sasikumar, skin specialist, here shares with you some of his best remedies and tips for a healthy skin.
How to get a healthy skin according to ayurveda
- Go early to bed and rise up early
- Do not mix incompatible foods (read more below)
- Consume vegetables with high water content as they can be digested more easily
- Vegetables such as carrots, radishes, lettuce, asparagus, fennel tips and cucumber are all beneficial fo the skin
- Do breathing exercises
- Moisturize your skin
- Consume seeds and nuts
- Cut down on your sugar and salt intake
- Protect your skin from excessive sun exposure
These incompatible foods can cause skin disease
In ayurveda there is a belief that some foods can cause skin diseases and that there are some foods that don't go well together when it comes to your skin health.
- Milk And Fruit: Yes. Even if you love your bowl of yogurt mixed with fruits, avoid it. Fruits are digested quickly, and milk takes time to digest. So, during the processing time, the fruit curdles the milk and creates acidity.
- Milk And Meat: Avoid consuming milk products (including desserts) if you have fish and meat. Fish heats up your body while milk cools it down. Combining these contrasting foods obstructs the vital body channels.
- Cold Drinks After A Meal: Avoid having iced or cold drinks after meals. This is because cold suppresses the digestive juices and causes stomach issues. This is also applicable for frozen yogurt and ice cream after (or before) meals.
- Ghee And Honey: Both produce opposite reactions in your body. While ghee cools down your body, honey heats it up, and this can cause imbalance.
Here are some tips on ayurvedic facial treatment that you can do at home:
Orange peel for enhancing Complexion
The peel of orange contains vitamin C and antioxidants that keep the skin clear and bright. It helps with oil control and minimizes acne outbreaks. Dry orange peels (preferably in the sun) and then mix to a powder.
What you need
- 1 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix the powder, honey and yogurt
- Apply it evenly on your face and neck
- Keep it on for 20 minutes
- Wash it off
Sandalwood, Turmeric and neem For Controlling Acne
Both sandalwood, turmeric, neem and honey have antibacterial properties according to ayurveda.
What you need
- 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon neem powder
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (adjust as per the consistency)
- Mix all the ingredients to a paste in a glass bowl
- Apply all over your face and keep it on until it dries
- Wash off with cold water
Raw Potato and curd For Pigmentation
Potato contains starch and has mild bleaching properties that help in fading pigmentation, dark spots, and scars naturally. Moreover, it also contains helpful enzymes that prevent premature aging.
What you need
- 1 potato
- 1 tablespoon curd*
- Some honey
- Make potato paste
- Mix with honey and apply it to the affected area
- Keep it for 30 minutes
- Wash it with cold water
*Curd is a dairy product obtained by coagulating milk in a process called curdling.
Videos about ayurveda
How to gain better health with yoga and ayurveda.
Ayurveda yoga: Energize yourself with this kapha reducing ayurvedic sequence.
Ayurveda yoga: Ground yourself with this vata reducing ayurvedic sequence.
Ayurveda yoga: Relax yourself with this pitta reducing ayurvedic sequence.
To be able to see the full video you need to be logged in as a paying member. New to Yogobe? Register to start your 7 days free trial here!
More about Dr. Venu Sasikumar
Dr. Venu Sasikumar is a much appreciated skin specialists in India. He has made intensive studies and researches in the sphere of skin diseases and their treatment. He relies upon medicines extracted from pristine nature and precise treatment modalities to get skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis under control. Read more about Dr. Venu Sasikumar on his web site. You can also contact him via e-mail at [email protected]